Inventing Space Over Time
In 2013 I decided to create negative space with my daily weavings. Instead of centering each day’s weaving, I connected each one so that the strips had one even edge. I alternated left and right each month. The negative space never showed up clearly. I adjusted and readjusted the strips, stitched them together in rows, contemplated them over and over but still the space between was not clearly defined. After nearly a year, I finally figured it out. For the past two weeks, I have been knitting strips and patiently sewing sewing around the edges. Success at last. As I hoped, interesting shapes finally emerged.
Today I had some fun playing around with some of the shapes in Photoshop. Here’s one result. Others are in the making.